What is Sex Therapy?
Sex therapy is talk therapy for individuals, couples, or other relationship structures where the topic is a sexual, sexuality, or gender concern or problem. Professional sex therapy never includes sexual contact or any kind of sexual behavior between a therapist and a client. Sex therapy can help you with issues such as:
• Performance or other kinds of anxiety, with decreased arousal or difficulty reaching orgasm
• Decreased or increased sexual desire
• Discrepancies in desire level between partners
• Difficulty with arousal/erections
• Difficulty with orgasm/ejaculations
• Sexual orientation concerns
• Gender dysphoria/transgender
• Hormone and surgery evaluations
• Painful intercourse and genital pain
• Genito-Pelvic Pain/Penetration Disorder
Dr. Shapiro will help you evaluate the problem, identify options for change, and suggest practical
homework to help you work toward the changes you desire. Sexual problems in particular often
respond best to an approach that integrates body, mind, emotions, and spirit, as our sexual self
is a reflection of all of these aspects. Often people wait such a long time before seeking help for
sexual problems that they develop various secondary problems, such as low self-esteem,
insecurity, and isolation, as well as anger, resentment, sadness, and frustration in relationships.
Much suffering can potentially be reduced by dealing with sexual problems when they become
Sexual problems are quite common, even among young people, so you are not alone!
Facing your problems can be challenging, but will help you feel more content, confident,
and empowered in the long run.