What is Sex Therapy?
Sex therapy is talk therapy for individuals, couples, or other relationship structures where the topic is a sexual, sexuality, or gender concern or problem. Professional sex therapy never includes sexual contact or any kind of sexual behavior between a therapist and a client. Dr. Shapiro is sex positive and a queer, kinky, and LGBTQQIA + ally.Sex therapy can help you with issues such as:
• Anxiety that interferes with sexual pleasure, emotional connection, and/or "performance"
• Discrepancies in sexual desire and/or sexual interests between partners
• LGBTQQIA +
• Sexuality issues
• Gender dysphoria/transgender/non-binary
• Hormone and surgery evaluations
• Difficulty with orgasm
• Difficulty with erections
• Genital pain and/or painful penetration
• Adapting to body changes, challenges, and limitations
• Exploring kink, polyamory, and queer sexuality
• Exploring and enjoying sex in your 50s, 60s, 70s and beyond
Dr. Shapiro will help you evaluate the problem, identify options for change, and suggest practical
homework to help you work toward the changes you desire. Sexual problems in particular often
respond best to an approach that integrates body, mind, emotions, and spirit, as our sexual selves are
a reflection of all of these.
People often wait a long time before seeking help for sexual problems, and may develop various secondary problems, such as low self-esteem, depression, anxiety, and emotional and social withdrawal. Chronic sexual problems also greatly affect relationships and can lead to entrenched feelings of anger, resentment, sadness, and frustration. Sex/couples therapy can help you and your partner(s) reconnect and sort things out, before you reach that point. By working together to repair your relationship, or if you choose, compassionately ending it, much suffering can potentially be avoided.
Sexual problems are quite common, even among young people, so you are not alone!
Facing your problems can be challenging, but will help you feel more content, confident,
and empowered in the long run.